I bought two big bunches of kale at the local farmer’s market and I had one thing in mind: Kale Salad! I had never tried kale in its raw form. I’ve had it lightly steamed and I’ve also had it in the form of crunchy kale chips, but a recent recipe on Oh She Glows had me hankering for a big, fresh raw kale salad.
Veggie and Kale Salad with Hummus Dressing
-adapted from Oh She Glows
- 1 bunch of kale, stems removed and washed (about 6 cups)
- 1 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2-3/4 cup chopped carrot (2 small carrots)
- 1 cup peeled and chopped cucumber
- 1/2 avocado, chopped
- 1 & 1/4 cup chopped grape tomatoes
- 1/2 cup mixed raisins and dried cranberries
- 3 Tbsp. cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1. Chop vegetables and mix in a large mixing bowl. Reserve sunflower seeds and walnuts for sprinkling on top.
2. Make your dressing (recipe below), whisking until smooth.
3. Tear the leaves off of the kale and rip into bite-sized pieces. Wash and dry kale leaves.
4. Mix the vegetables, kale leaves, and full batch of dressing in a large bowl until thoroughly combined.
5. Place in fridge to ‘marinate’ for 15-20 minutes. Keeps in fridge in a sealed container for 1 day. When you’re ready to serve, top with the seeds and nuts. Serves 4 as a side dish or 2-3 as a main dish salad.
- 3 Tbsp. hummus (I used roasted red pepper variety)
- 1 Tbsp. white balsamic vinegar
- 3-4 Tbsp. water, or as needed to reach desired consistency
- 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 tsp. kosher salt
- Cracked pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup enchilada sauce, plus more for drizzling
- 10 mini bell peppers, stems removed
- Preheat the grill to medium heat.
- Sauté the onion and spinach until onions are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Combine the spinach mixture with quinoa. Add the enchilada sauce and mix until combined.
- Fill each pepper with the quinoa mixture, packing tightly. Each pepper will hold 1-2 Tbsp. Some filling may be leftover and you might have to eat a couple of bites…darn. 😉
- Spray the grill with nonstick spray. Cook peppers 3 minutes per side until slightly charred. Drizzle with extra enchilada sauce and serve.