This chili is a quick, one-pot way to use up whatever you’ve got on hand upon weeks-end. Feel free to sub whatever veggies and beans you have.
This is a vegetarian chili. Actually, this is a vegan chili, but it’s really hearty and filling and no one will ever miss the meat. The name “Black and White” comes from the types of beans.
Black and White Chili
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 3 small carrots, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 2-3 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1 Tbsp. cumin
- 1 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. instant espresso grounds (optional, but gives a nice depth of flavor)
- 2 Tbsp. barbecue sauce
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds, to thicken
- Sauté onion, carrot, and bell peppers until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook one minute more.
- Add the beans and tomatoes to the pot. Stir in chili powder, cumin, cocoa powder, basil, cayenne, instant espresso, and barbecue sauce. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Before serving, stir in chia seeds and cook on low for five minutes until thickened.
I love that little honey bear. He sweetened up my cornbread for me!
I am on a recipe mission today. I can’t wait to share it with you!!