I LOVE carrot cake. It’s probably my favorite kind of cake…well, maybe it’s tied with a delicate yellow butter cake with chocolate frosting. Either way, this is the best carrot cake to come across my lips.
Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting
-adapted from All Recipes
For the cake:
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 cups finely shredded carrots
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 1 cup raw walnuts, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple with juice
- 1 cup raisins, divided
- Preheat oven to 325F. Grease and flour a 9×13 pan or a 10″ bundt pan.
- In a small saucepan, combine 2/3 cup of the raisins with 1/3 cup water. Simmer until water is absorbed, about 10 minutes. When the raisins have cooled slightly, process them into a paste in a food processor.
- In a dry skillet, toast the walnuts, shaking the pan often, until aromatic, about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- Beat the eggs and sugar together for 1 minute in the bowl of an electric mixer. Add the buttermilk and vanilla, mix until combined. Drizzle in the oil and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the raisin paste, coconut, walnuts, remaining 1/3 cup whole raisins, shredded carrots, and crushed pineapple. Toss with 2 Tbsp. flour to prevent the mix-ins from sinking to the bottom of the cake.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet, mixing just until combined. Fold in the carrot mixture. Pour into prepared pan and bake 45-50 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool at least 10 minutes in the pan before turning out onto cooling rack (if using a bundt). If you are using a 9×13″ simply allow it to cool in the pan.
- 16 oz. cream cheese (I used 1/3 less cream cheese)
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 2 cups sifted powder sugar
- Beat butter and cream cheese about 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time mixing until smooth. Spread or pipe onto the cake.