Birthday’s are a big deal to me. There is only one day a year when you get to make someone smile by wishing them a happy birthday.
For me, birthdays are a time to reflect on the past year of my life, both the accomplishments and the disappointments, as well as a time to think about the actions I will take to succeed in the future.
During my run today, I was doing some of this reflecting on the past 24 years. I thought about where I am now in my life compared to where I thought I would be if you had asked me a few years ago. I have never felt happier, more content, more in love, and more at peace than I have at this very moment, but I would never have pictured myself “here” a year ago.
I thought of all of the things I have learned, all the trials I have overcome, all the tears I’ve cried, all the fun I’ve had. I know I am still young and I still have so much to learn, but here I things I know now.
24 things I’ve learned in 24 years
1. No prayer goes unanswered, but instead each one is answered in a way that you could have never foreseen.
2. Timing is everything, but not everything happens in your time.
3. Be patient.
4. If it happened, it was for a reason.
5. There is no such thing as too much dark chocolate.
6. Never have I finished a workout and said to myself, “I really wish I hadn’t ran today,” but I always wish that I ran on the days that I didn’t.
7. Holding onto a bad mood affects not only you, but also everyone around you. Let it go.
8. Happiness is a choice.
9. Coffee is the elixir of life.
10. Do not live your life based on the desires of others. You must do what is right for you.
11. If they love you, they will understand.
12. Vegan meals leave me feeling healthy and happy.
13. Traveling feeds the soul.
14. Not getting what I wanted turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me.
15. The heartbreak won’t last forever. You may think it will, and you will cry like it will, but it won’t.
16. I am a stronger, happier, and healthier person because of the hard times, not because of the easy times.
17. “There’s no time like the present.” -Grandma
18. “Hard work never killed anyone. It was the thought of it that made them sick.” –Grandma
19. Arguing is a waste of time. Talk it through, forget, and forgive.
20. You can search the world for happiness, but until you find it in yourself your efforts will be wasted.
21. Nature is a cure-all.
22. Mom and Dad know best.
23. I will never be too old to swing on the swings.
24. Loving someone who loves you back is the greatest joy you will ever know.
Comment: What are some of the life lessons you’ve learned??