I get so busy on the days when I work AND have class that I am tempted to either pick something up for dinner or throw a frozen entree into my book bag and call it a night.
I always feel so guilty when I do that, like I’m cheating myself out of a quality meal. Frozen entrees aren’t much to blog about either.
While I was sitting in my car and not moving at all down the congested freeway, I decided that tonight I would make dinner. Because I only had 30 minutes from the time I got home to the time I had to leave again, it had to be something fast and portable.
I’ve been on a mexican food kick this week, and I have been craving enchiladas. And so ‘Vegan Enchiladas for One’ were born.
They come together in a snap, dirty very few dishes, and sneak in a healthy dose of vegetables and protein!
Vegan Enchiladas for One
- 2 corn tortillas
- 3 Tbsp. soy chorizo
- 1/4 cup diced summer squash
- 2 Tbsp. diced mushrooms
- 1/3 cup enchilada sauce
- 1 Tbsp. hummus
- 1 tsp. nutritional yeast
- cilantro and hot sauce, for garnish
1. Sautee squash and mushrooms until slightly soft, 2-3 minutes. Add soy chorizo and sautee 2-3 minutes longer.
2. Pour half of the enchilada sauce into your single-serving dish.
3. Combine the hummus, nutritional yeast, and a teaspoon or two of water to make a creamy “cheese” sauce.
4. Divide the chorizo mixture between the two tortillas. Divide half the “cheese sauce” over the chorizo mixture. Roll them up into enchiladas and place them in your serving dish. Top with the remaining enchilada sauce, drizzle with hot sauce, and spoon the rest of the cheese sauce over top. Bake or microwave until hot. Garnish with cilantro and serve!
I put my enchiladas in a tupperware container and packed it up in my lunch bag to heat up during my dinner break at school. I am eating them right now and they are spicy!!! (thanks to that new Frontera Red Pepper hot sauce I picked up on the way home). They are very good though. I like the chorizo in them, and the vegetables provide a great texture. No one would ever miss the meat or cheese in these babies!
That’s it. 20 minutes or less from start to finish, cleanup included!
I’m in class right now so I should get back to work. Keep up your challenges from the past four days. I still have more water to drink!